The Coworking Concept Spurs Creativity and Productivity for Independent Workers
The Coworking Movement has not been around for very long, but has already started to make a dramatic impact on businesses and entrepreneurs around the world. The concept of coworking was first developed in 2005 by Brad Neuberg, a Silicon Valley software engineer. Neuberg’s original coworking vision centered around facilitating an open working environment for freelance workers to work independently alongside like-minded independent workers, or within an organization to foster a relaxed and upbeat environment to encourage creativity and productivity. While the concept has evolved over the years to support more work styles and organizations, the core values still remain the same.
As the Workforce Changes, Coworking Spaces Give Independent Workers a Space to Connect and Thrive
As the dynamics of the workforce continually change throughout the millennium, coworking in Atlanta and beyond may become the new normal for a large increase in workers who will not report to an official office space in the coming years. The Huffington Post reports that “40 percent of the workforce will be freelancers, temps, independent contractors and solopreneurs by 2020.”
There are many reasons that a coworking environment can help this new and growing breed of modern worker. The following features and resources available at many Atlanta coworking spaces may shed some light on the popularity of this growing trend for solo professionals:
- A Space to Work without Distractions. While independent workers may have an extra room at home to turn into an office, they may have housemates, children, or other distractions during work hours that make it difficult to accomplish their goals.
- A Professional Networking Environment. Fellow coworkers may not work in the same field, but they can bounce ideas off one another. Many struggles for freelancers and independent contractors are similar, even if one professional is a creative writer and the other works as an independent transcriptionist.
- Available Conference Rooms and Technical Equipment. Even if a startup has a small workspace at home, they probably do not have a room large enough or equipped to accommodate business meetings, training sessions, or video shoots. The conference rooms at coworking spaces are fully equipped with projectors, screens, Apple TV, HDMI, and anything else that independent workers may only need occasionally.
- Access to a Business Center. Whether a solopreneur rarely uses printing services, or they are saving to eventually lease their own office space, coworking professionals can enjoy access to a bustling business center for faxing, scanning, and full-color printing services.
- 24/7 Facility Access. Many coworking facilities offer 24/7 access to those who rent a private office or dedicated desk. For those who never know when inspiration will strike, this set-up is perfect.
Why Choose a Coworking Space Over Renting or Leasing a Traditional Office Space?
There are several reasons that a coworking space is more beneficial to small business owners, freelancers, and independent contractors, including the following:
- A Smaller Operating Expense. Nerdwallet states that a business can save up to 75 percent in operating fees when choosing a coworking space over a traditional office. Even with the coworking firm’s fees, the business comes out ahead with access to included WiFi, conference rooms, and business services.
- A Choice of Prime Real Estate. Share coworking spaces are often in prime locations, offering great views, upscale design and decor, and easy access for potential out-of-town guests.
- Flexibility. Most Coworking spaces offer month to month membership plans and private office rentals. Companies that are unsure about where they will be in 2 years can easily upsize or downsize their space depending on their unique needs.
- Large Company Feel for Startups and Small Businesses. Coworking spaces contain furniture, atmosphere, and technology that a startup would not traditionally find in a small office space.
Are You Ready to Start Coworking Atlanta Style?
If you are ready to start your coworking adventure in Atlanta, you may just fall in love with what SharedSpace has to offer. Contact us to book a free day at SharedSpace to explore and see if we are the right fit.